Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Interview With David Ruffle

I was lucky enough to get an interview with David Ruffle, the MX author of Sherlock Holmes and the Lyme Regis Horror.  If I'm not mistaken, there's also a second edition of this book available now from Amazon.

Now, to get to the interview. 


1. How and why did your interest in Sherlock Holmes start? What is it about the character that fascinates you most?
 
My interest in Holmes started when I was quite young with the reading of the Canon and continued on from there. I loved the aloofness of the character and the arrogance borne out of genius.

2. What is your favorite story of the canon?
 
The Speckled Band for its understated horror. The Blue Carbuncle for its many delights and The Six Napoleons for its dash, verve and style.

3. What are your top three favorites pastiches? (No fair picking your own!) :)
 
Difficult.....such an ever changing field to select from. Contrary to many Holmesians I enjoy immensely Michael Dibdin's The Last Sherlock Holmes Story. Loren D Estleman's Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula. David Stuart Davies's The Tangled Skein. But, honestly ask me tomorrow and the list may be different.

4. In fellow Holmes pastiche authors, what do you most admire/most detest?
 
I first look for how the characters of Holmes and Watson are delineated and if the dialogue is authentic sounding. To some extents the plot to me is of secondary importance; a plot may be ingenius, but if Holmes and Watson are not 'right' then it will not work for me.

5. What was your inspiration for your own Holmes novels?
 
Lyme Regis pure and simple. I had never written a thing before moving here seven years ago and now am constantly inspired to write. The 'Lyme Regis Horror' started off as a one page exercise in capturing a moment in Baker Street, my inspiration for that was mostly in the shape of the Granada series.

6. Who is your favorite paring with Holmes, crossover-wise? (Ie--Holmes and the Phantom, Holmes and the Ripper, Holmes and Dracula, Holmes somehow in contemporary times with an original female character, etc.)
 
Holmes and Dracula pairing fascinates me and it's refreshing to see so many authors tackle this theme and still keep it fresh.

7. What, if any, is your favorite more obscure Holmes movie? (For instance, Young Sherlock Holmes, Without a Clue, They Might Be Giants.)
 
To be honest I rarely watch Holmes movies and of those I enjoy none come into the obscure category.

8. What is your favorite Holmes canon quote, and why?
 
It was worth a wound; it was worth many wounds; to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.
 
In a few simple words ACD opens up the heart of Holmes and the depth of the friendship between the two. Magic.
 
The most puzzling quote is; "Your neighbour is a doctor then?" Odd.

9. What, if any, is your favorite quote from the BBC's Sherlock?
 
Cannot think of one off-hand!!

10. How awesome is Benedict Cumberbatch?? (Lol, just kidding.) Seriously, however, if you've been lucky enough to view the second season of Sherlock, without giving too much away, what is your opinion of it?
 
The whole series (One and Two) is constructed and written so well in that it appeals to both Holmes purists and the modern Dr Who generation. The character of Holmes has grown during the course of the six episodes and is a more vulnerable Holmes now than when we first encountered him. A splendid piece of television which leaves one wanting more.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, David: my only comment is this- I wanted more. I was enjoying myself so much reading the give-and-take that I just wanted it to continue. Perhaps a follow-up?

    ReplyDelete